Quiz1 Study Guide
- What is a constellation? What is an asterism?
- Know the first 6 Greek letters
- Know the stars that make up the constellation of Orion
- Know the stars and constellations in the Orion starry night image and know how to star hop from Orion to the surrounding constellations
- What are solar storms and how can they affect the Earth?
- Know how to identify sunspots, granules, spicules, prominences, flares, and coronal mass ejections
- What are sunspots and how are they formed?
- Know the sunspot cycle
- Bring a pencil
Quiz2 Study Guide
- Where and how is energy being generated in the Sun?
- What regulates the temperature of the Sun?
- Know the temperature layers of the Sun
- Understand the forces of nature and how they act in the Sun
- Know how the apply the Universal Law of Gravitation
- What are the phases of matter?
- How is energy being transport in the sun?
- What are neutrinos?
- Bring a pencil
Quiz3 Study Guide
- What type of stuff is in the interstellar medium?
- How do gas and dust respond to light?
- Know how to identify the different types of clouds and nebulas
- Where are stars born?
- What conditions do stars need to form?
- What are protostars and what stages do they go through to form a star?
- What supports a cloud from collapsing and what can disrupt this support?
- How long do stars take to develop into a main sequence star?
- What are the demographics (mass population) of stars?
Quiz4 Study Guide
- Know how the Sun will evolve from its birth on the main sequence to its death as a white dwarf
- How long will the Sun spend on the main sequence?
- What happens to the core of the Sun when it exhausts its supply of hydrogen?
- What will cause our Sun to turn into Red Giant, a Yellow Giant, and back into a Red Giant?
- How big will the Sun get when it turns into a Red Giant? (big as the orbit of)
- How will the appearance (size and color) of the Sun change as it evolves from the main sequence to a white dwarf?